Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Conversation With Music Star Dovid Stein


B"H

Dovid Stein has been on the music scene for some time now, doing both a full length album produced by the famous Eli Gerstner and starring on the just released DVD “YBC Live 3” Since Dovid released his first album about a year ago, his fame skyrocketed and he has since starred in several major concert performances. Emunah Magazine invited Dovid Stein to sit down with Yosef Shidler from TheCoolJew.com in the Emunah Magazine office to talk about his professional career as a musician.

TCJ: Dovid, how did it all start, what made you get in to music to begin with?

DS: Well I guess it started back when I was a little kid. My brother and I used to go to pirchei in Torah Vodaas and they had a choir that actually had 2 live performances. We never made it past our second performance which was at an old age home. We weren’t really that good but they all clapped for us anyway. I used to choreograph dances to Miami Boys choir and have my brothers and sisters perform them with me then we’d get all dressed up and put on concerts for the family, lip synching to MBD, Avraham Fried and Miami Boys Choir

TCJ: Were you in any other choirs growing up?
DS: Not really any kid choirs maybe a camp choir. I was in the adult choir for Yerachmiel Begun and the Miami Boys Choir as well as Avraham Fried's backup choir for a bunch of his concerts. I also did Choir work on Yaakov Shwekey’s 2nd album as well as several others. I was in a marching band in 5th grade.

TCJ: Really? Where’d you march?
DS: We marched passed the Lubavitcher Rebbe ZT”L at one of the Lag B’omer Parades they have in Crown Heights. The band was actually led by Ari Halberstam Hu Yinkam Domo’ who was tragically murdered by a Lebanese terrorist on the Brooklyn bridge back in 1994

TCJ: So when did you start singing again?
DS: I didn’t actually start singing publicly again till about 7 or 8 years ago

TCJ: How did that unfold?
DS: It started one Rosh Hashana when the chazzan at the shul I was davening in lost his voice and I was voted to relief him. The chazzan decided to call it quits and I was to be back for Yom Kippur Davening. I happened to bump into an old friend and he was telling me about this voice teacher he was going to in boro park and that I might want to pop in for a few tips.

TCJ: So did you?
DS: Yes

TCJ: Do you still go to a voice teacher? I imagine you train your voice.
DS: I go to an amazing teacher in Lakewood NJ named Avraham Wheaten. He’s pretty much the best in the business. He really helped me come a long way.

TCJ: What is it that you learn from a voice teacher?
DS: Well the most important thing a voice teacher can teach you is how to sing and talk with a healthy and free voice

TCJ: Talk?
DS: Yes. I meet a lot of people who don’t use proper technique when talking which leads to a strained hoarse sounding voice. You hear it a lot with teachers. Going to a “good” voice teacher will help you deal with hoarseness, proper breathing and proper vocal projection. My teacher is actually doing an open lecture on vocal efficiency here in Brooklyn.

TCJ: Do you know when and where I’m sure there are plenty of people reading this that are interested?
DS: I’m not sure when though it should be within the next couple weeks. You can email me at dovidstein@gmail.com for more information





TCJ: When did you realize you could actually do this as a career?
DS: Well I started to sing at weddings about 7 or 8 years ago and I guess it slowly evolved into a career.

TCJ: Tell us about the YBC Live DVD?
DS: Well its actually available on DVD and a Double Audio CD sold separately. Featured is myself with a 20 piece orchestra conducted by Eli Gerstner, Yeshiva Boys Choir, Menucha and the most talented Yaakov Mordechai Gerstner for his Solo DVD Debut! There are also behind the scenes footage and all that other fun stuff you find on dvd’s!


TCJ: Tell us about your album and the success you have seen from it
DS: Well BH the album sold very well and I’ve BH been getting booked for a lot of weddings and bar mitzvahs. The real success is singing for special kids and watching their faces light up when I come to sing for them.

TCJ: Is that often?
DS: I sing quite often and for a lot of different organizations. I am BH part of a lot of these special kids lives and there is no greater satisfaction than putting a smile on their faces. I’m blessed to be a part of it.



TCJ: Do you travel for simchas?
DS: I’ve BH had a bunch of opportunities to sing at simchas abroad. From Florida to California and as far as Israel.

TCJ: Sounds exciting. What music do u listen to?
DS: (Laughs) My own of course! No seriously….My favorite singers are Yeedle, Fried and MBD I also like Yehuda Green. Of course my kids usually decide what’s played in the car.

TCJ: Your Currently very big on the wedding scene. What makes you different?
DS: Everyone is unique. BH I’m able to do something I love and make a living doing it.

TCJ: Are you working on your second album?
DS: I’m actually putting together material now!

TCJ: If I have a composition I think you might like will you listen to it?
DS: Sure! Email it to me

TCJ: When do u expect to release the album?
DS: When it’s ready! J

TCJ: If someone wants to reach you how do they do it?
DS: I can be reached via email at dovidstein@emunahmagazine.com

TCJ: Well I thank you for your time
DS: Thank you!